Nav button too small help

Using AWM with Fusion.
Confusion 11

Nav button too small help

Postby Confusion 11 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:56 am

my text won't fit in the stock nav bar and I can't change the width. I have highlited the button in question and then selected properties and then typed in the new width. When I hit return it goes back to the original width. :? HELP

admin
Site Admin

Re: Nav button too small help

Postby admin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:11 am

my text won't fit in the stock nav bar and I can't change the width. I have highlited the button in question and then selected properties and then typed in the new width. When I hit return it goes back to the original width. :? HELP
Navbars in Fusion are images that the program adds button text to when you generate your pages.

Since they're images, they're a fixed width.

You can either user a smaller font size or make a new style with wider buttons (edit the ones you're using in a graphics program) or use a program such as AllWebMenus to create your navigation bars.

We use it on here on BeyondFusion and many other sites. Lot's of style options and variable width buttons too.

You'll find a tutorial for using AWM here: www.beyondfusion.com/html/tutorial-awm.php

Chuck

Confusion 11

Postby Confusion 11 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:10 pm

Thanks I did download AWM and made my NAV BAR and followed the directions as best i could but when i drag into fusion 11 it says "couldnt find awmmenupath.gif" nav bar will not be displayed.

i did not place any anchor on the page or picture, could that be the problem?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks I did download AWM and made my NAV BAR and followed the directions as best i could but when i drag into fusion 11 it says "couldnt find awmmenupath.gif" nav bar will not be displayed.

i did not place any anchor on the page or picture, could that be the problem?
The positioning is connected with the component placement on your page.

You downloaded the AWM component? You turned on AWM support in Publish view?

Make sure you follow the tutorial in detail.

Chuck

Confusion 11

Postby Confusion 11 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:28 am

yes I donloaded the component, installed it in fusion, checked the box under publishing, it shows up under the flash components.
The only thing i am doing that is off from the tutorial is custom naming the file so that it is not "menu". Also I am not saving the nod file in user sites but in a custom location which I pointed the saving location in AWM to save in the file with the nod file.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:41 am

yes I donloaded the component, installed it in fusion, checked the box under publishing, it shows up under the flash components.
The only thing i am doing that is off from the tutorial is custom naming the file so that it is not "menu". Also I am not saving the nod file in user sites but in a custom location which I pointed the saving location in AWM to save in the file with the nod file.
The tutorial recommends not using the default name of "menu". :wink:

It also says to save your project in the same folder as your nod file.... Which is your site folder inside of User Sites.

For general housekeeping....

When using Fusion, it's ok to have your User Sites folder in a custom location (I have mine on a W: drive rather than my C: drive), but if you're ever going to do more than one site, it's a good idea to not store your site outside of User Sites.

Fusion is a code generator. The nod file is a database that stores your site information and location of assets (i.e. images for the most part).

It has to know where those assets are located when you're working on the site. So, it's best to place all assets in the Assets folder inside your site folder, rather than in some other location like Pictures inside of your User name folder.

If you move or delete an image used in your web site, you'll wonder why you get a red X in Design View when you go to your page to work on it.

Chuck

Confusion 11

Postby Confusion 11 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:30 pm

I have the *.js file in with my *.nod file. Are you saying I should place the *.js file into the assets folder?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:27 pm

I have the *.js file in with my *.nod file. Are you saying I should place the *.js file into the assets folder?
No.... your .awm file and the .js file that's generated when you compile your menu should be in the same folder as your .nod file. Which should be in your site folder inside of User Sites.

When you compile, AWM will also create a folder in your site folder with the supporting .js files for your menu.

This all assumes you set your site root folder in AWM per the tutorial instructions.

When you publish the first time, that folder and its contents and your main menu .js file will be published to the web server. After the initial publish, the main .js file will only be published when you make a change and recompile the menu. The supporting files will only be republished when you update to a newer build of AWM.

Chuck

Confusion 11

Postby Confusion 11 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:28 pm

YEA I finally got it to work! I erased the component download and downloaded it again an re installed it just like last time, but now it works!! it must have had a corrupted file on download or something. thank you thank you :D

The final question is how do I get it to fill in the extra space after the buttons to the edge of the page with graphic bar like the buttons look?

Ok I just tryed lots and lots of spaces behind the last button title and that made one huge button. I guess I can live with that.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:40 pm

YEA I finally got it to work! I erased the component download and downloaded it again an re installed it just like last time, but now it works!! it must have had a corrupted file on download or something. thank you thank you :D

The final question is how do I get it to fill in the extra space after the buttons to the edge of the page with graphic bar like the buttons look?

Ok I just tryed lots and lots of spaces behind the last button title and that made one huge button. I guess I can live with that.
You can go to the Style Editor while you have your menu project open in AWM and set the "Size" option. Set a minimum size (after doing the math) that will give each button enough width to evenly fill the width you need for your page.

You can usually get within a few pixels. Sometimes even the exact width.

Chuck

Confusion 11

Postby Confusion 11 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Thanks chuck,
I didnt even see that tab until you poiinted it out. the menu looks great now!

Return to “AllWebMenus from Likno”