Guestbook

Discussions and Questions about Fusion 9
Nick Carntowan

Guestbook

Postby Nick Carntowan » Thu May 15, 2008 6:43 am

I am testing out a Guestbook but have encountered two problems.
First, comments are displayed on a single line in the guestbook although they wordwrap whilst being entered and also if viewed in the Admin page. Is there a customisation option for this?
Second, there appears to be no option to display date without time. The problem here is that my server is in the US but my customers are in the UK - the time displayed is very different from local time. I'd be happy with just the date but can't see whether this can be achieved.
Anyone able to help please?
Nick

Nick Carntowan

Re: Guestbook

Postby Nick Carntowan » Thu May 15, 2008 8:11 am

Regarding the line-wrap problem, something very strange is happening. The first page shows the problem (of no line breaks) but the second page is fine. See here:
http://www.test.carntowan.com/html/gues ... gboffset=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a test site so the comments themselves are just silly, please ignore.
Nick

Nick Carntowan

Postby Nick Carntowan » Thu May 15, 2008 8:30 am

...and I am wrong about comments word-wrapping OK on the Guestbook Admin page, they are the same as in the guestbook itself (I must have been looking at page 2).
This is all very confusing. I have unchecked "Show time of comment" but the time is still shown; and I have checked "Notify when a new comment is added" and "New entry requires admin validation" but this does not seem to be happening.
Please help, thanks.
Nick

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu May 15, 2008 10:52 am

...and I am wrong about comments word-wrapping OK on the Guestbook Admin page, they are the same as in the guestbook itself (I must have been looking at page 2).
This is all very confusing. I have unchecked "Show time of comment" but the time is still shown; and I have checked "Notify when a new comment is added" and "New entry requires admin validation" but this does not seem to be happening.
Please help, thanks.
When you publish, do a full publish rather than changed assets only. That will cause the supporting scripts to update.

The Guestbook formatting can be controlled to some degree is Style View. It's not as customizable as many users would like, but it does offer basic functionality.

Admin Chuck

Nick Carntowan

Postby Nick Carntowan » Thu May 15, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks Chuck,
I always do a full publish so that's not the problem here. I'm hoping the line-wrapping problem will not recur on my production site - it seems to have cleared up by itself (but you can still see the problem on the first page). I can't see that Site View enables any specific guestbook formatting.
By the way, I was struggling to find where my Local Publish folder had gone. When I checked Publish Settings I found that the path had not been updated automatically to correspond with the current site name and was overwriting an earlier copy. I've never had to search for it before. Is my copy of NOF9 falling apart progressively?
I am wondering whether it might help to build the pages again rather than export templates from my test build and import them into my production site and so risk importing faults. Then again, how have they occurred and will they re-occur anyway?
Is the Guestbook more customisable (or stable) in NOF 10?
Nick

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu May 15, 2008 6:38 pm

The Guest book in 10 is pretty much unchanged from 9.

I'd have to do some testing, since I never use any of the Fusion components that generate scripts.

I write my own to fit specific needs, so a one-size-fits-all isn't necessary.

Chuck

Nick Carntowan

Postby Nick Carntowan » Mon May 19, 2008 8:37 am

Hi Chuck,
Looking in the db folder I created can see the cgi scripts that NOF created for the guestbook. I can edit these to delete the time or create a script to change the time to my own zone. I am not sufficiently expert at cgi scripting yet but will learn as much as I need to. Can you possibly tell me which script file(s) contain the relevant code to read and output the time (and ideally pin it down more closely for me so I don't miss any references)? There is rather a lot of script to read and understand without this help. Thanks.
Nick

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon May 19, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi Chuck,
Looking in the db folder I created can see the cgi scripts that NOF created for the guestbook. I can edit these to delete the time or create a script to change the time to my own zone. I am not sufficiently expert at cgi scripting yet but will learn as much as I need to. Can you possibly tell me which script file(s) contain the relevant code to read and output the time (and ideally pin it down more closely for me so I don't miss any references)? There is rather a lot of script to read and understand without this help. Thanks.
Nick,

Fusion doesn't generate CGI scripts. It does either PHP or ASP, which aren't CGI under normal circumstances.

Be aware that if you modify the generated scripts, they'll be overwritten when you publish again. You'd have to keep a copy of the modified script(s) as a backup.

I've not looked at the scripts and really don't have time to right now. You could write to support@netobjects.com and perhaps they can direct you.

Chuck

Nick Carntowan

Postby Nick Carntowan » Fri May 23, 2008 12:39 pm

Hello again,
I am still having problems with line wrapping. Sometimes comments wrap OK but then another comment doesn't wrap and causes all previous comments to "unwrap" - if I use Guestbook Admin to edit that comment, inserting breaks manually, the line length for the whole guestbook will change. Is this is a known bug or is there a problem with what I am doing? Is there a fix or workaround.
My attempts to identify and change the php script to omit time display didn't work. There is more to it than I'd hoped.
I will go with what I have for now and include an apology for the TIME display. However, I would like to fix the wrapping problem as it really messes up page layout. Any thoughts?
Nick
The guestbook is currently at http://www.test.carntowan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nick

Nick Carntowan

Postby Nick Carntowan » Sat May 31, 2008 10:43 am

Well, I implemented the guestbook on my main site (http://www.carntowan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but it displays:
"An error occured. Please contact the site administrator.
Error code: 541"
As far as I can see I can see I have implemented this is exactly the same way as I did on my test site (http://www.test.carntowan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), which works fine. At first I had not implemented the access permissions to the 'db' file correctly on the main site but have fixed this and it's still not working.
Can you tell me what error 541 is please? Any idea what's wrong?
Regards,
Nick
Nick

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat May 31, 2008 12:29 pm

Well, I implemented the guestbook on my main site (http://www.carntowan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but it displays:
"An error occured. Please contact the site administrator.
Error code: 541"
As far as I can see I can see I have implemented this is exactly the same way as I did on my test site (http://www.test.carntowan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), which works fine. At first I had not implemented the access permissions to the 'db' file correctly on the main site but have fixed this and it's still not working.
Can you tell me what error 541 is please? Any idea what's wrong?
Regards,
Nick
I'm seeing the component placeholder images instead of the guestbook.

By the way, you should exclude your guestbook admin page from navigation.

I don't recall for sure if there is one (may depend on the program build you have), but did you go to Publish View and publish components and check the check box (if there is one) for the component? I know there's one for the FAQ component and it isn't that different from the guestbook.

Chuck

Nick Carntowan

Postby Nick Carntowan » Sat May 31, 2008 1:24 pm

Hi Chuck,
Working on a Saturday eh? Great, thanks for responding.
I noticed the placeholders appeared so I repeated local publish and uploaded again (with FileZilla) and I now have the guestbook back but still with the error code 541. I don't know why or how the placeholders appeared, that's never happened before - I made no changes this time, just republished. Actually I made no changes the time before but thought I should republish and upload after changing the db permissions in case that had an effect.
I simply cannot see the difference between the test and real sites with respect to the Guestbook or db file (I suspect the error code concerns the db folder though). If you have any idea what the code means or thoughts on what the problem might be I be glad to hear them.
I don't know what you mean by "publish view", I can't see that anywhere and can't see any relevant check boxes. I use FileZilla (because I'm familiar with it). My test site is OK and I'm using the same procedure.
I'm not sure how to exclude the Admin page from navigation nor how to reach it if I do but will have a look at the user manual.
Nick

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat May 31, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi Chuck,
Working on a Saturday eh? Great, thanks for responding.
I noticed the placeholders appeared so I repeated local publish and uploaded again (with FileZilla) and I now have the guestbook back but still with the error code 541. I don't know why or how the placeholders appeared, that's never happened before - I made no changes this time, just republished. Actually I made no changes the time before but thought I should republish and upload after changing the db permissions in case that had an effect.
I simply cannot see the difference between the test and real sites with respect to the Guestbook or db file (I suspect the error code concerns the db folder though). If you have any idea what the code means or thoughts on what the problem might be I be glad to hear them.
I don't know what you mean by "publish view", I can't see that anywhere and can't see any relevant check boxes. I use FileZilla (because I'm familiar with it). My test site is OK and I'm using the same procedure.
I'm not sure how to exclude the Admin page from navigation nor how to reach it if I do but will have a look at the user manual.
I'm not seeing an error 541, but was when I first looked at the page.

So I assume you found the configuration problem.

541 isn't a code associated with the components.

Chuck

Nick Carntowan

Postby Nick Carntowan » Sat May 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Sorry Chuck, I have spotted one of the permissions was different (my host provider has a proprietary way of doing this so I don't see the CHMOD code). I think it works now! Sorry to have bothered you with this.
(If you have any other pointers or comments I'd be glad to have them).
Nick

Return to “Fusion 9”