help how to put a password on a page in net 9,

Discussions and Questions about Fusion 9
bosanci28

help how to put a password on a page in net 9,

Postby bosanci28 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:07 pm

how exactly i shoul put a password on a page,,
let say i make a page and i put some files and i wnat to be the page protected how do i do that ?,,i try but need some help,,,
if some one goes to that page and if click on it a password to require to get in
any help will be apreciate ,,, net obj 9

admin
Site Admin

Re: help how to put a password on a page in net 9,

Postby admin » Wed May 02, 2007 10:09 am

how exactly i shoul put a password on a page,,
let say i make a page and i put some files and i wnat to be the page protected how do i do that ?,,i try but need some help,,,
if some one goes to that page and if click on it a password to require to get in
any help will be apreciate ,,, net obj 9
See the online tutorial for the Secure Site Component.

http://netobjects.com/en/nof/9/00/docs/ ... elogin.htm

Admin Chuck

anthonyrice

Postby anthonyrice » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:22 pm

One of the sites I am writing is basically a scrapbook for my friends and family. I would therefore like to issue them all with a single password which they would enter on the home page to gain access to the site. If someone else got access, it wouldn't really matter.

Is there a way to do this without the complexity of the whole NOF Secure Site package?

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:18 pm

One of the sites I am writing is basically a scrapbook for my friends and family. I would therefore like to issue them all with a single password which they would enter on the home page to gain access to the site. If someone else got access, it wouldn't really matter.

Is there a way to do this without the complexity of the whole NOF Secure Site package?

Thanks
If you're on a Linux server running Apache web server, you can use a .htaccess file.

Check with your host. If you have a control panel, you'd probably find the option there.

Admin Chuck

mcaustinsr

Postby mcaustinsr » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:37 pm

Chuck,

Before yesterday I would have read your reply and said, HUH? But after finding what I did in another user group, it makes perfect sense. I spent MONTHS trying to get the very confusing NOF 9 Secure Site function to do more than give me a headache!

For everyone on the novice level, I can relate! I finally found an answer that even I could understand. So for those like me, who are totally reliant on NOF to create a website with no knowledge of the rest of the ground work or how to use the .htaccess file, here's a step by step procedure to get that secured area in your web site. This is a lot longer than it needs to be, but for a good reason; to help anyone else on the very basic knowledge level to understand what is happening. I followed these instructions and within a few minutes I had a secure section in my website. It worked first time! So here we go! First, the quick explanation followed by more detail for those who want it.

1. Goto cPanel
2. Create a protected directory (this is case sensitive)
3. Goto NOF - Publish
4. Select Publish and then Arrange Files. Set this to BY FLAT temporarily.
5. Go to SITE and create a NEW FOLDER. Name this exactly the same as your protected directory.
6. Drag the pages you want protected under the new folder.
7. Reset the Publish view to Site Structure.
8. Publish the entire site.

When you try to access the 'protected' pages you will be prompted for the username and password that you set in your Host control Panel.

If you need further help understanding what is happening, read on.

If your web host is running under Linux, you most likey have a cPanel or something similar. In your control panel there should be a feature for setting up 'protected directories'.

Set up the directory you want secured by login and password and take careful note of the name you give to the directory. Beware, Linux is case sensitive! Example, create a folder named login. cPanel will ask you for the ID(s) and password(s) at this time.

Now go into NOF. At the very top of the window in the toolbar (not the icon), select Publish and then select Arrange Files. Set this to "BY FLAT" for now. You will change it back later.

Go to SITE and add a NEW PAGE where you want the login process to start. Name this new folder exactly the same as your protected directory. Now drag all the pages you want protected under the new page. Now go back to Publish and change the view to "Site Structure."

Publish the entire site to your web host.

When you try to access any of the 'protected' pages you will be prompted for the username and password that you set in your Host control Panel.

One person, a photographer, posted they were trying to set up a wedding site. They wanted the proofs available for the bride and groom only. So in this case you would simply create a folder with their name, set an ID and password and put the pages for their portion of the website below the folder with their name. Pardon this crude example of a flow chart. It didn't like having so many spaces so I used periods to try and give some shape. Hopefully it will give a novice the idea:

....................................... _____........setup ID...........______
.......................................|smith|.......& password.......|Jones|
........................................-------............here.............--------
............................................|.......................................|........
......................................-----------...........................------------
......................................|wedding|.........................|Baby Pics|
......................................| photos |.........................-------------
......................................-----------.................................|..........
............................................|...............................----------------
................................--------------------....................|................|....
................................|.......................|...............--------.........------
............................--------.............---------..........| boy |.........| girl |
............................| his |............| hers |...........-------.........-------
............................--------.............---------

Each top folder, smith and jones, will have their own ID and password. You can create as many as you need, for what ever your needs, without having to hassle with the many components required through NOF. IMPORTANT NOTE: This type of security is meant to keep out your average person. I wouldn't do any banking with it. :D

I hope this has been helpful to someone trying to create a private area on their web site!

Michael

Return to “Fusion 9”