Templates

Got Fusion 8 questions? Discuss them here.
NJG252

Templates

Postby NJG252 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:10 am

Hello,
Here I am again. More dumb questions. But, hey, didn't they teach us that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask ? ok.

Templates. Tried to import a template (a purchased complete deal ) I have to change all the Latin into my text, but I loved the design - and really want to get it set up as my new page design base.

It tells me there are NO NetObjects Fusion files in it (duh, made elsewhere / reduced to html & common formats ), and then NetObjects just lets the topic die. No suggestions to overcome (rename the extension, etc.), and no alternative method to try. So I quit goofing around and came here to ask......

Is it Impossible to buy a template and get it to import into NetObjects Fusion ?

Thanks, ( Chuck ?) seems to be the one who always answers me.
Thank you.
Nanci G.

and no, tonight I'm not going to diddle around - - until I have heard from you, in the next few days. lol

admin
Site Admin

Re: Templates

Postby admin » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:05 pm

Hello,
Here I am again. More dumb questions. But, hey, didn't they teach us that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask ? ok.

Templates. Tried to import a template (a purchased complete deal ) I have to change all the Latin into my text, but I loved the design - and really want to get it set up as my new page design base.

It tells me there are NO NetObjects Fusion files in it (duh, made elsewhere / reduced to html & common formats ), and then NetObjects just lets the topic die. No suggestions to overcome (rename the extension, etc.), and no alternative method to try. So I quit goofing around and came here to ask......

Is it Impossible to buy a template and get it to import into NetObjects Fusion ?

Thanks, ( Chuck ?) seems to be the one who always answers me.
Thank you.
Nanci G.

and no, tonight I'm not going to diddle around - - until I have heard from you, in the next few days. lol
Well.. since I run the board, I keep an eye on it more than users do. :wink:

A design template for a web site, in general terms, is very different from a Fusion template. A Fusion template is a proprietary format collection of all of the files that make up a site in Fusion.

A design template is nothing more than a design layout for an HTML page with graphics included.

To get one of those into Fusion, it's a matter of setting up a blank page in Fusion with a Layout area and appropriate Master Borders with a blank Site Style. Then you add the graphic elements from the design template. One by one.

Not overly complicated, but a bit daunting if you've never done one before.

After you get one page set up, you make copies of it (using it as a ... well.... template of sorts) in Site View to use as live pages in your site.

You can also just make a new site from an existing site using the design template html page you've saved to your hard drive. This will get you started, but you'll have a lot of cleaning up to do to make it easily usable in Fusion terms.

We do template conversions (for a fee) if you can't figure it out yourself and want to hire a mercenary. :wink:

Chuck

NJG252

Postby NJG252 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:59 am

Hi, No problem here. I have friends who are amazed I'm online at the dangdest times of day !!
You explained an outline of what I can do quite nicely. Thank you. And, nope - I'm a mercenary myself and too selfish to share ! lol

Another couple questions ?
When I'm done putzing around and have the site re-done to my happy dappy......can I just Publish right Over my site that's online right now, and all the assets, etc. will overwrite the old site's design ? (yes, my backups, listing , everything that NOF was holding regarding that site is out with the rest of the original deleting - so it's hangin' on by a thread online as it was published before I broke my NOF program files !!!! )

I'm with Earthlink hosting, (ok pkg. deal I "monty hall'd" from them) and
domain name, most images, text, counters, etc. remains same. Just the layout and design have changed. Earthlink's control panel is ancient and I'm more accustomed to CPanel - there I wouldn't NEED this question.....
and Earth'.. isn't even close to the easy and thorough of Trellix ....so,
if ya don't know the answer , I will use their tech support - but I so hate having to explain things to someone whose base language is not English. lol
Tha's one question. The other is: do you think I could manipulate that template in Nvu, and then do the piece work between that and NOF ??
I'm very experienced with Nvu, even tho some folks have never heard of it. I learned on it first.

Have a good night, Chuck,
Nan

nancigiuffre@earthlink.net

admin
Site Admin

2 more questions

Postby admin » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:39 am

Hi, No problem here. I have friends who are amazed I'm online at the dangdest times of day !!
You explained an outline of what I can do quite nicely. Thank you. And, nope - I'm a mercenary myself and too selfish to share ! lol

Another couple questions ?
When I'm done putzing around and have the site re-done to my happy dappy......can I just Publish right Over my site that's online right now, and all the assets, etc. will overwrite the old site's design ? (yes, my backups, listing , everything that NOF was holding regarding that site is out with the rest of the original deleting - so it's hangin' on by a thread online as it was published before I broke my NOF program files !!!! )

I'm with Earthlink hosting, (ok pkg. deal I "monty hall'd" from them) and
domain name, most images, text, counters, etc. remains same. Just the layout and design have changed. Earthlink's control panel is ancient and I'm more accustomed to CPanel - there I wouldn't NEED this question.....
and Earth'.. isn't even close to the easy and thorough of Trellix ....so,
if ya don't know the answer , I will use their tech support - but I so hate having to explain things to someone whose base language is not English. lol
Tha's one question. The other is: do you think I could manipulate that template in Nvu, and then do the piece work between that and NOF ??
I'm very experienced with Nvu, even tho some folks have never heard of it. I learned on it first.

Have a good night, Chuck,
Nan

nancigiuffre@earthlink.net
Yes, you can publish right over the existing site. Same name pages will be overwritten with the new versions. If you want to delete old pages and images first and then do a complete upload so old unused files are not taking up space on your hosting account, that can be a good way to go.

As for mixing pages done in Nvu with those done in Fusion, sure.. you can do this.... they both produce HTML pages, after all. But navigation will need to be addressed somehow. If you use Fusion navbars, you'll need to go with custom, since Fusion won't know the pages done in Nvu exist.

Chuck

NJG252

Postby NJG252 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:17 am

Yes, you can publish right over the existing site. Same name pages will be overwritten with the new versions. If you want to delete old pages and images first and then do a complete upload so old unused files are not taking up space on your hosting account, that can be a good way to go.

As for mixing pages done in Nvu with those done in Fusion, sure.. you can do this.... they both produce HTML pages, after all. But navigation will need to be addressed somehow. If you use Fusion navbars, you'll need to go with custom, since Fusion won't know the pages done in Nvu exist
Gotcha,
Thanks bunches !!
Nanci G.

Return to “Fusion 8”