sizing the website to auto fit the browser

Got Fusion 8 questions? Discuss them here.
JCB

sizing the website to auto fit the browser

Postby JCB » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:57 pm

how do i get a webpage to auto size in the viewers browser. part of the page disappears off to the right if viewed at 800x600 resolution. It is too small if viewed at 1024x768. I now this can be done but i cant get my head around it !!! it seems to loses my default master border when i follow the instructions in fusion help for "fitting a text box to the window". help !! you can view the sites in question at www.scothern.org.uk and www.liquorpond-surgery.co.uk . i note on the beyond fusion site it is neatly finished on the left and right with a thin vertical line and it fits the browser perfectly. thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: sizing the website to auto fit the browser

Postby admin » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:05 pm

how do i get a webpage to auto size in the viewers browser. part of the page disappears off to the right if viewed at 800x600 resolution. It is too small if viewed at 1024x768. I now this can be done but i cant get my head around it !!! it seems to loses my default master border when i follow the instructions in fusion help for "fitting a text box to the window". help !! you can view the sites in question at www.scothern.org.uk and www.liquorpond-surgery.co.uk . i note on the beyond fusion site it is neatly finished on the left and right with a thin vertical line and it fits the browser perfectly. thanks.
To make a site that fits the browser window, you can't use Master Borders in Fusion. You have to use zero margins and palce all of your content in a text box in the layout with tables within set to 100% width.

These forums don't use Fusion for the design. The main site does. You'll see that it doesn't resize, but it does center.

Admin Chuck

JCB

Postby JCB » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:06 pm

so does that mean i have to copy the header info onto each page manually rather than having the master border common across all pages. This seems a very difficult way of going about it - i thought the point of using web design software was to make it easy !!!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:46 pm

so does that mean i have to copy the header info onto each page manually rather than having the master border common across all pages. This seems a very difficult way of going about it - i thought the point of using web design software was to make it easy !!!
Not many sites are designed to resize to fit a browser. A set size centered in a browser is much more common.

Making a resizing display isn't as simple as it sounds from a design standpoint. The results aren't always desirable and frankly, it's more trouble than it's worth, IMHO.

Yes... if you really want to do so, you need to give up master borders.

Make a page the way you like it (with what would have been in mastr borders in place) as a "template" and then make copies of it in Site View to make your site pages. Add unique content on the individual pages.

Of course, if you want to make a change in the common content, you'll have to change each page individually.

Chuck

desertlane

Postby desertlane » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:41 pm

Of course, if you want to make a change in the common content, you'll have to change each page individually.
Or use includes (SSI) on each page to grab the common content. If the "common content" needs to be changed, you'll only have to change it once.

Return to “Fusion 8”