e comm

Got Fusion 8 questions? Discuss them here.
autopaintpro

e comm

Postby autopaintpro » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:30 pm

Hi Chuck,
interesting i read paul's mail and it seems that i am having similar problems with the cataloge loading forever ,especially when i need to make changes etc...to it on my desk top.
so if you can recommend a way for me in normal language since i am not a developer i would appreciate it .i di d not understand the php /my sql that you spoke to him about.
i thought that the cataloge has to take this long to upload and work with.
z

admin
Site Admin

Re: e comm

Postby admin » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:31 pm

Hi Chuck,
interesting i read paul's mail and it seems that i am having similar problems with the cataloge loading forever ,especially when i need to make changes etc...to it on my desk top.
so if you can recommend a way for me in normal language since i am not a developer i would appreciate it .i di d not understand the php /my sql that you spoke to him about.
i thought that the cataloge has to take this long to upload and work with.
z
At this time, the only way to a "fast" catalog using the e-comm component is to have very small catalogs.

WSP may make changes in the future.

As I've said a number of times, I don't use the e-comm component. I develop online catalogs for clients and company use using PHP and a MySQL database.

Chuck

PaulM

Postby PaulM » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:47 pm

One way, where you will not need any development experience is to create the items you want to sell on each page yourself.

For example, add a picture, drop down list for options, text field for description, text box for quantity etc.

Create these statically on your web page, just like you would create a normal web page in fusion.

Then add add to cart buttons next to each item and integrate them into a store package, mals is the one most people use and reccomend.

I will be doing this over the next few days on my site so I will knock up a dummys guide on how to do it for people like yourself and post it on here.

As chuck says, if you dont have many items on each page this is ideal, however if you have lots of items you would normally use a database and have PHP query the database and create the page dynamically based on the results.

For you, I would reccommend doing the static pages, even if it seems like you have quite a lot of items on each page it would still be a lot fatser of a period of time to maintain than using the fusion commerce catalogue.

It would also mean you could decide exactly how your catalogue looks and your store engine would not be shown as a pop up window, which I dont like to be honest

autopaintpro

Postby autopaintpro » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:19 pm

Great Work Chuck,
my site is autopaintproonline.com ,so you can take a look,the items listed is not even 5% of what i have to do.
so how do i go about doing it in a data base?
i am hosting with godaddy.com and i have a few .com's so i can practice a bit to grt myself familiarized with it .i have a php mysql host.
do i create the data base on the server ?or outside of and than upload to the server?
at this time i am using mal's (sweet fellow spoke to him many times).
please any suggestions?
thanks Z

admin
Site Admin

Re: reply

Postby admin » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:02 pm

Great Work Chuck,
my site is autopaintproonline.com ,so you can take a look,the items listed is not even 5% of what i have to do.
so how do i go about doing it in a data base?
i am hosting with godaddy.com and i have a few .com's so i can practice a bit to grt myself familiarized with it .i have a php mysql host.
do i create the data base on the server ?or outside of and than upload to the server?
at this time i am using mal's (sweet fellow spoke to him many times).
please any suggestions?
thanks Z
As I've recommended before, you can start with my Fusion/PHP/MySQL tutorials if you want to try and roll your own.

See the BF Resources page. Some links to good books there too.

If you ever want to hire a mercenary to help you out, let me know. (-;

Chuck

autopaintpro

mercenary

Postby autopaintpro » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:37 pm

Chuck
that's exactly what i need is a mercenary!
How do you suggest we handle this?
let me know please.
Z

wirkkalaj

Postby wirkkalaj » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:51 pm

One way, where you will not need any development experience is to create the items you want to sell on each page yourself.

For example, add a picture, drop down list for options, text field for description, text box for quantity etc.

Create these statically on your web page, just like you would create a normal web page in fusion.

Then add add to cart buttons next to each item and integrate them into a store package, mals is the one most people use and reccomend.

I will be doing this over the next few days on my site so I will knock up a dummys guide on how to do it for people like yourself and post it on here.
Did you ever come up with your guide? If you could give me some pointers that would be great. I have figured most of it out via mal's support page, but you mentioned a drop-down for options, but I can't figure out how to do that. Also, wouldn't the quantaties option need to be changable by the user, in which case it would have to be a form or something right?
Your help would be appreciated. I loved the catalogue feature and have made a few sites utilizing it but it has become unbearable to upkeep because of the massive slow down. I started to read up on PHP and databases, but it is making my head spin and I feel like it will take forever to learn.

Return to “Fusion 8”