publish errors

Got Fusion 8 questions? Discuss them here.
computerclub

publish errors

Postby computerclub » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:29 pm

I've been using Fusion 8 for a while now, and it works great on Windows XP. I just got a new computer with Windows 7 and I can't publish to the web. I keep getting errors "error sending the file ... to the server". My computer is on a network and I can move to an XP machine and publish the same file with no problem. I've checked the firewall, and NetObjects has permission to publish. What else could it be?

admin
Site Admin

Re: publish errors

Postby admin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:40 pm

I've been using Fusion 8 for a while now, and it works great on Windows XP. I just got a new computer with Windows 7 and I can't publish to the web. I keep getting errors "error sending the file ... to the server". My computer is on a network and I can move to an XP machine and publish the same file with no problem. I've checked the firewall, and NetObjects has permission to publish. What else could it be?
I've not tried running Fusion 8 on Windows 7. There are probably some compatibility issues.

Try running it as administrator. Right click on the program icon and go to properties. Click on the Compatibility tab. Check the run as administrator box.

Fusion 8 also uses an old Java Runtime Environment that doesn't work well with Win7. There's no fix for this.

Only option is to upgrade to Fusion 11.

Chuck

computerclub

Postby computerclub » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:08 pm

We tried running as administrator but no luck.

We are able to run Fusion 8 on our home PC on Windows 7 (64 bit) and it works, but won't work in our community's computer room on the Windows 7 (64 bit) computers. We also made sure that the Java levels on the community room PC's match what we have on our home PC. Some PC's on our network run Fusion 8 and publish OK -- some don't. We have XP, Vista, and Windows 7 PC's -- some XP's work, some Vista's work, but the other XP's and Vista's and the Win 7's don't work. Any idea what might be different on these PC's?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:33 am

We tried running as administrator but no luck.

We are able to run Fusion 8 on our home PC on Windows 7 (64 bit) and it works, but won't work in our community's computer room on the Windows 7 (64 bit) computers. We also made sure that the Java levels on the community room PC's match what we have on our home PC. Some PC's on our network run Fusion 8 and publish OK -- some don't. We have XP, Vista, and Windows 7 PC's -- some XP's work, some Vista's work, but the other XP's and Vista's and the Win 7's don't work. Any idea what might be different on these PC's?
On the computers that publish OK, look at the publish settings. In the remote publish profile, go to Advanced settings and look at the setting for FTP. There's a check box for passive mode.

However it's set, see if the non-publishing computers are set the same.

Having passive mode FTP set incorrectly can cause publish errors.

The correct setting depends on the web server you're publishing to.

Chuck

computerclub

Postby computerclub » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:08 am

The check box is checked on all computers.

On the computers that give the publishing errors, a folder can be created on the remote site but the index.html and other files can't be transferred, so I don't think it's an FTP problem. There is an issue with Fusion transmitting the individual files.

We've downloaded the latest Java, and have also backleveled the Java to match the PC's that work.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:24 pm

The check box is checked on all computers.

On the computers that give the publishing errors, a folder can be created on the remote site but the index.html and other files can't be transferred, so I don't think it's an FTP problem. There is an issue with Fusion transmitting the individual files.

We've downloaded the latest Java, and have also backleveled the Java to match the PC's that work.
Fusion 8 uses JRE 1.4 which is bundled with the program. It can't use an external JRE installed on the computer.

Only Fusion 11 has this capability.

Can you do a local publish?

If you can, Fusion is generating the files.

That would point to a firewall problem or perhaps a permissions problem on the web server.

If you can local publish, try using a standalone FTP program to transfer the site's files to the web server.

Chuck

computerclub

Postby computerclub » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:28 pm

We can publish locally and can FTP the files to the web server. However, many of our users are beginners who can barely use Fusion and would not be able to do an FTP. Besides, we can't give them the administrator ID and password for the website without them messing us the entire website.

As to your point about firewalls, on the machines with a problem publishing they can still create folders on the web server when we try to publish. We just aren't getting the index.html and other files sent to the web server. The machines are using the default Windows firewall.

As a specific user, I can go from one machine to another with the same ID and password -- some machines will publish without errors and some give multiple errors. Therefore, it can't be a permissions issue.

Are there any registry entries that might explain why some PC's work and some don't?

Any other suggestions?

Return to “Fusion 8”