CANNOT GET RID OF THESE DOGGONE META TAGS

Got questions about Fusion 7.5 or Fusion Essentials? Ask here.
Isabel

CANNOT GET RID OF THESE DOGGONE META TAGS

Postby Isabel » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:22 pm

I have some meta tags on my web site I cannot get rid of unless I go to the control panel of my host server and change the html page there, which will be a pain. I contacted support@netobjects.com and they said I imported the web site off the internet, which is not so at all. I designed the site ''from scratch'' -- its my own web site -- since Nof 4. I have gone into Page Layout's html; Tools: Options: This Site's meta tags; Site View's meta tags for the folders. All while I'm at it, what's the trick for changing the page names in Site View and having them actually stick when the site gets uploaded. I'm going into all this weird area now because I'm trying to optimize my web site for internet marketing purposes. The site is www.isabelsmith.com and I am looking at the first page only. I will supply a NOF template of the website if that helps -- respond privately. Thanks Isabel
Isabel Smith Art & Design
www.isabelsmith.com

admin
Site Admin

Metatags and Page names

Postby admin » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:51 am

I've already returned your template after removing the metatags.

As for your problem with renaming pages...

The issue is with page names containing spaces. When you have spaces in file names, Fusion replaces the spaces with underscores.

Unfortunately, when you try to rename the page in Site View, you're changing the name you see....that has no underscores. Fusion has stored the name internally with the underscores. Therefore, it doesn't realize you're trying to change the name because the name you're changing doesn't match the name it's given the page.

Clear as mud? Got it? :shock:

Anyway....to fix this, take a page in Site View that you wish to rename and copy it. Select the page, press Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+V to paste the copy into the site. Now, rename the copy to what you want the name to be and delete the original page you weren't able to rename. Move the copy into the position vacated by the deleted original.

You'll need to fix the page title when you do this, so copy the one from the original page before you delete it.

Repeat the process for each page and then nver, ever use spaces in page names again. They're a bad idea and "illegal" on Unix-typs servers. (technically not illegal, but not a good idea for several reasons)

Some users do this to get the labels that want in navbars. Probably becasue they didn't know about the Custom Names for banners and nav buttons you can set in the page properties in Site View.

Admin Chuck

Isabel

All time no-no rule for naming pages AND screwed by NOF7.5

Postby Isabel » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:57 pm

:roll: I should have known bettah, shame on me, shame on me: No page names with spaces. In my defense, I try to please my clients (www.kathlynmariemodels.com) and end up playing havoc with ''the rules'' --- thanks for your sharp eyes for spotting that and reviewing that rule
:twisted: NOF 7.5 -- well I checked www.isabelsmith.com and the only place the meta tag is embedded forever and ever and ever evermore, is the first page.... which I can change on my server where the html is stored. The rest of the pages are meta tagless, which means I skated home free in my book, by the skin of my teeth
So the rules are:
no spaces between words in page names or, use the underscore for the spaces
use the meta tags in SiteView only ever....
Bumps in the road... its the only place I wish it were a super highway instead of a backcountry road -- the learning department....
okay so my brain still can wrinkle and absorb... thanks Chuck, thanks, thanks, thanks!
www.isabelsmith.com

Isabel

TRIED WHAT I THINK YOU SAID ABOUT ....

Postby Isabel » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:54 am

Hi Chuck,

On www.kathlynmariemodels.com I tried what I think you said about naming the Nof pages. I had named my pages originally with shorter names. Then the client wanted them changed, which I did. The longer names had ''illegal'' spaces in them. Nof reverted back to the shorter page names and so that is what you see on the web site now... Page names that do not match the pages.

I think what I understood you to say on the page names was to go into site view and make an untitled page and name it correctly. To subsitute spaces I used either a dash or underscore. Then I went into page view and copied the contents from the "illegally named page" and pasted it into the ''happily correctly named page" and uploaded the whole thing locally.

Voila! Here's the mess Nof said I didn't have... and I don't even know where to begin... I've never seen stuff like this!

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Kathlyn_Marie_Models_Hp3.gif
The system cannot find the file specified.

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Kathlyn_Marie_Models_HRp4.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Login_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Login_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Women_KM-Elite_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Women_KM-Elite_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Women_KM-Models_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Women_KM-Models_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Men_KM-Elite_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Men_KM-Elite_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Men_KM-Models_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Men_KM-Models_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Children_6mos-2T_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Children_6mos-2T_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Children_3T-11_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Children_3T-11_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Children_12-16_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Children_12-16_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Talent_Actors_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Talent_Actors_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Talent_Music_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Talent_Music_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Featured_Models_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Featured_Models_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\About_Us_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\About_Us_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Contact_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Contact_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Become_a_Model_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Become_a_Model_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\News_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\News_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Search_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Search_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Casting_List_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Casting_List_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Mini_book_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\Mini_book_NRp2.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\General_Info_Np1.gif

Can't copy file: E:\Kathlyn Marie Modeling\kathlyn_marie_design 1\Preview\Autogen\General_Info_NRp2.gif

IF YOU HAVE GOTTEN THIS FAR ON THE PAGE, ALL I CAN SAY IS:

Help! Any kind of direction will do.

I have a template I am attaching under a private email to you.

Thanks,
Isabel
www.isabelsmith.com

Limey

Postby Limey » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:04 am

Chuck,
Kinda off Isabel's topic but - are meta tags used any more?

Before I go and add dozens of 'em, I thought I would ask.

Martin

admin
Site Admin

Yes, they are

Postby admin » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:10 pm

Every web page should have a keywords and description metatag.

They may not be as relevant as they once were, but search engines still look at them.

Isabel

Postby Isabel » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:28 pm

:? Hi Chuck, After I upload my nof 7.5 web site with its permanently embedded meta tags from many previous version program migrations, I replace the top of the page code with:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Design Solutions for business, custom and personal projects</TITLE>
<META NAME="Abstract" CONTENT="Isabel Smith Art & Design Studio offers both traditional and digital solutions for commercial and individual design work. Illustration, Calligraphy, Graphic and Web Design. Artistic architectural renderings, printing, custom card design, for all occasions, graphic to print, web design, animation, hosting and domain registration">
<META NAME="Author" CONTENT="www.isabelsmith.com">
<META NAME="Copyright" CONTENT="2006">
<META NAME="contact_addr" CONTENT="Isabel Smith Art & Design Studio
www.isabelsmith.com">
<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Illustration, Calligraphy, Graphic-to-Print and Web Design design solutions by Isabel Smith Art & Design">
<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="Graphics-to-Print,web design,calligraphy,illustration,custom, design solutions, projects, ideas">
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Illustration Calligraphy Graphic and Web Design - Isabel Smith Art & Design">
<META NAME="Language" CONTENT="English">
<META NAME="Rating" CONTENT="general">
<META NAME="Refresh" CONTENT="every visit">
<META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="15 days">
<META NAME="Robots" CONTENT="index, follow all">

I don't know if that helps any one -- if its totally wrong, let me know, okay?

Thanks, Isabel
www.isabelsmith.com

Limey

Postby Limey » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:02 pm

Isabel,
Thanks, that does help. It's always nice to see real-life examples.

Thanks to you also, Chuck, for your help and these forums.

Martin

Return to “Fusion 7.5 - Fusion Essentials”