Hello from Cornwall, England

Got questions about Fusion 7.5 or Fusion Essentials? Ask here.
Nick Carntowan

Hello from Cornwall, England

Postby Nick Carntowan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:36 pm

Hi, I just discovered this forum and thought I’d introduce myself.
I am a new (or at any rate inexperienced) web “designer” but just over a year ago I took the plunge and wrote my first and only website using Fusion 7.03 (www.carntowan.com). As you will see if you visit the site I own holiday cottages and decided to be my own agent for one of them using the web to reach my market. I have not been disappointed with the enquiries and bookings and I was delighted with the ease of using Fusion, especially after following about half the excellent tutorial first.
I now have a “free” CD with a magazine that contains Fusion 7.5 and I am wondering whether to upgrade. While I’m about it I might even consider Fusion 10, after all the program has been good to me and I’m not adverse to paying provided I am buying useful features without unnecessary added complexity. I’d welcome views but let me explain how I see the website changing first.
Photo albums are key to the site since everybody wants to know what the cottages and their setting are like, so I will be adding more and better views. I find the galleries in 7.03 have a choice of rather “arty” and chunky borders. Does 7.5 have plain and simple borders?
I have experimented with adding a video clip but I now have a decent videocam and need to do this properly (“virtual tours” of the cottage interiors and some of the area). Rather than simply embedding the video file (as the User Guide lead me to try) I will attempt to add streaming video – if necessary I will do this indirectly via YouTube or similar. All this involves inserting my own HTML code so might the extra insertion points be useful? Actually my bigger problem is learning to make interesting video clips in the first place!
I’m thinking of adding a forum where visitors can post recommendations for pubs, restaurants, things to do, places to stop on the journey, etc. I have looked at Phorum and seen the postings here concerning phpBB. I want my forum to look like it’s part of the site rather than an add-on so it must at least use the same image header. I expect I can get to grips with this eventually (but help would be welcome). I was intrigued that Fusion 9 has an integrated guestbook and might consider this instead if it automatically integrates with my master borders, etc. However a guestbook would not organise topics the way I envisage it, visitors would have to trawl through the entries to find recommendations.
Is the upgrade to Fusion 7.5 worthwhile do you think? Most importantly will I be able to simply open my existing site in the new version? And by the way, should I uninstall the old Fusion first or will the new install automatically overwrite it?
I read (somewhere here) that I cannot simply import my current site into the latest version (Fusion 10) and this is a complication I could do without. How valuable are the new features in my case. Would they perhaps encourage me to add availability charts directly on my site (rather than via a link to someone else’s), and maybe also offer a booking form rather than just an email address? Would these interactive features work on all common browsers?
Sorry it’s such a long post. For those with the patience to have read this far, thank you. And for any answers, comments or suggestions, thank you very much indeed.
Nick

admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Cornwall, England

Postby admin » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:13 pm

Nick,

Welcome to the BeyondFusion forums. You certainly packed alot into a single post.

See me comments below.

Admin Chuck
Hi, I just discovered this forum and thought I’d introduce myself.
I am a new (or at any rate inexperienced) web “designer” but just over a year ago I took the plunge and wrote my first and only website using Fusion 7.03 (www.carntowan.com). As you will see if you visit the site I own holiday cottages and decided to be my own agent for one of them using the web to reach my market. I have not been disappointed with the enquiries and bookings and I was delighted with the ease of using Fusion, especially after following about half the excellent tutorial first.
I now have a “free” CD with a magazine that contains Fusion 7.5 and I am wondering whether to upgrade. While I’m about it I might even consider Fusion 10, after all the program has been good to me and I’m not adverse to paying provided I am buying useful features without unnecessary added complexity. I’d welcome views but let me explain how I see the website changing first.
Photo albums are key to the site since everybody wants to know what the cottages and their setting are like, so I will be adding more and better views. I find the galleries in 7.03 have a choice of rather “arty” and chunky borders. Does 7.5 have plain and simple borders?
I have experimented with adding a video clip but I now have a decent videocam and need to do this properly (“virtual tours” of the cottage interiors and some of the area). Rather than simply embedding the video file (as the User Guide lead me to try) I will attempt to add streaming video – if necessary I will do this indirectly via YouTube or similar. All this involves inserting my own HTML code so might the extra insertion points be useful? Actually my bigger problem is learning to make interesting video clips in the first place!
I’m thinking of adding a forum where visitors can post recommendations for pubs, restaurants, things to do, places to stop on the journey, etc. I have looked at Phorum and seen the postings here concerning phpBB. I want my forum to look like it’s part of the site rather than an add-on so it must at least use the same image header. I expect I can get to grips with this eventually (but help would be welcome). I was intrigued that Fusion 9 has an integrated guestbook and might consider this instead if it automatically integrates with my master borders, etc. However a guestbook would not organise topics the way I envisage it, visitors would have to trawl through the entries to find recommendations.
Is the upgrade to Fusion 7.5 worthwhile do you think? Most importantly will I be able to simply open my existing site in the new version? And by the way, should I uninstall the old Fusion first or will the new install automatically overwrite it?
I read (somewhere here) that I cannot simply import my current site into the latest version (Fusion 10) and this is a complication I could do without. How valuable are the new features in my case. Would they perhaps encourage me to add availability charts directly on my site (rather than via a link to someone else’s), and maybe also offer a booking form rather than just an email address? Would these interactive features work on all common browsers?
Sorry it’s such a long post. For those with the patience to have read this far, thank you. And for any answers, comments or suggestions, thank you very much indeed.
Fusion 7.5 was a very stable release and is certainly worth upgrading to if you have a free copy.

Fusion 10 has many more features available. Not necessarily adding complexity. Alot more built-in components, to be sure.

In reality, you could export a template from Fusion 7 and make a new site from it in 10 and probably have no problems at all.

Each version of Fusion installs in its own folder... it doesn't overwrite the exiting version. No need to uninstall 7.03 until you're ready to.

Modern browsers can handle interactive sites. That's what we do here. PHP coding and MySQL databases.

With pbpBB, you can modify it's template to remove the logos and then use an iframe to include it in your site. We have a free iframe code generator you can use to create the code to insert into Fusion. See the resources page.

Nick Carntowan

Postby Nick Carntowan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:03 pm

Thanks Chuck, I'll certainly give 7.5 a try then. I didn't check whether there was a try-before-you-buy option for the current version. If there is I'll give that a go too.
One thing I forgot to mention, I had trouble using Fusion's FTP, like others I've read here. Are the later versions better?
Nick

admin
Site Admin

Fusion ftp troublw

Postby admin » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:03 pm

Thanks Chuck, I'll certainly give 7.5 a try then. I didn't check whether there was a try-before-you-buy option for the current version. If there is I'll give that a go too.
One thing I forgot to mention, I had trouble using Fusion's FTP, like others I've read here. Are the later versions better?
Problems using Fusion ftp are generally firewall related. Either on your PC or at the ISP.

Set up a remote publish profile and click on the Advanced button. On the FTP tab, toggle the Passive Mode checkbox.

Sometimes, it's a good idea to clear your preview and local publish folders too.

I've found the ftp in Fusion 10 to be very fast and reliable.

Chuck

Nick Carntowan

Postby Nick Carntowan » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:19 am

Thanks, I'll give it a go.
Nick

Nick Carntowan

Problems upgrading from version 7 to 7.5

Postby Nick Carntowan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:19 pm

I thought I would begin by trying 7.5 (before considering the leap to 10). I had expected it would be simple to open the site I'd created in version 7 in 7.5 and get going. However my old Site Style didn't transfer, the text format changed and the page lengths have increased.
I originally based my style on one of Fusion's but altered the heading banners using a photo image and increased the text size in the menus. I could start again and make these changes but I'll have to re-learn how (you only do this once so I've forgotten - simply changing the banner obscures the page heading text). Isn't there a simpler way? The style exists for v7 and v7.5 created an Active Style with the same name but with menus and headings "unspecified".
I think I chose Verdana text but it looks like v7.5 has defaulted to Times New Roman. The font clearly exists on my PC (I'm using the same machine) so why isn't it used?
I guess I simply have to change the page length as v7.5 has added lots of blank space at the bottom. Again, can't all this be done automatically?
If I can short cut this transfer phase please tell me how. [Would I have even more problems upgrading to v10?]
P.S. My website is www.carntowan.com if you want to see what I'm trying to achieve. By the way, any criticisms/suggestions for improvement are welcome (ignore the video page, I'm working on it - hopefully with 7.5).
Nick

admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems upgrading from version 7 to 7.5

Postby admin » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:58 pm

I thought I would begin by trying 7.5 (before considering the leap to 10). I had expected it would be simple to open the site I'd created in version 7 in 7.5 and get going. However my old Site Style didn't transfer, the text format changed and the page lengths have increased.
I originally based my style on one of Fusion's but altered the heading banners using a photo image and increased the text size in the menus. I could start again and make these changes but I'll have to re-learn how (you only do this once so I've forgotten - simply changing the banner obscures the page heading text). Isn't there a simpler way? The style exists for v7 and v7.5 created an Active Style with the same name but with menus and headings "unspecified".
I think I chose Verdana text but it looks like v7.5 has defaulted to Times New Roman. The font clearly exists on my PC (I'm using the same machine) so why isn't it used?
I guess I simply have to change the page length as v7.5 has added lots of blank space at the bottom. Again, can't all this be done automatically?
If I can short cut this transfer phase please tell me how. [Would I have even more problems upgrading to v10?]
P.S. My website is www.carntowan.com if you want to see what I'm trying to achieve. By the way, any criticisms/suggestions for improvement are welcome (ignore the video page, I'm working on it - hopefully with 7.5).
Nick,

Look at the migration recommendations topic in the Fusion 10 forum. Much of it applies to upgrading from any older version of Fusion to a newer one.

There's a huge difference between 7 and 7.5 in the way styles are managed. That's probably the reason for most of your issues.

Style management stayed largely unchanged from 7.5 to 9 and has now changed again in 10. Much more powerful CSS options.

You could have avoided some problems by exporting a template from 7 and making a new site from it in 7.5.

When you upgrade to 10, be sure to follow the recommendations.

Admin Chuck

Nick Carntowan

Postby Nick Carntowan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:18 am

Thanks Chuck,
I do have a backup of the original so I can restore that and start again as I haven't done much to convert apart from experimenting to find out what's required. If I saved and used the template would I then have to build all the pages again? I'm not sure whether that would be quicker.
Nick

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:21 am

Thanks Chuck,
I do have a backup of the original so I can restore that and start again as I haven't done much to convert apart from experimenting to find out what's required. If I saved and used the template would I then have to build all the pages again? I'm not sure whether that would be quicker.
A template (in Fusion terminology) includes the sitestyle, all pages and files assets in the site. Optionally, the remote publish profile(s) as well via a checkbox when you name the template.

No need to recreate anything.

Once again, see the migration recommendations in the Fusion 10 forum.

Chuck

Return to “Fusion 7.5 - Fusion Essentials”