Background/table/master border colors in NOF 11

Support for Fusion 11
stilly

Background/table/master border colors in NOF 11

Postby stilly » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:40 pm

Hello.

I just need to be pointed in the right direction I think. I fired up the program and said hey lets just jump on in since I rely on playing with a program to get familiar with it. Well, weird things happened. Sorry but with a 1100+ page user manual I tend to only look at it when I am sitting on the toilet (so I get some quality reading time in there). This program is AWESOME. I have NEVER used NOF before but now I am really impressed. So I made a site by wizard and chose the template colors and layouts and all and then I told it to change the background and it did, but EVERYTHING in the background was changed. Even the body, so I went to the body (layout region) and chose a different color and EVERYTHING again went to that color. I am trying to configure the body to be WHITE so the text can be black and the images can be on a white background, but the REST of the page beyond the actual page itself I want to be a light gray. SO if someone with a 1280x1024 resolution opens the site up in their fullscreen browser they see a 800px page that is white down the middle of the screen and then gray on both sides (to symbolize no content there I guess). But I found it weird that the template creator wizard thingy did not allow me to customize this or think of making it like this afterwards. I saw another posting on putting a black border around the site and that was cool, but then my images did not line up so I wanted to remove it and poof, could not find that code again... oops. Now I have some lost html code somewhere in the site.

Finally, I decided to try to put a layout region on top of everything and then move it down through the object tree so it was on the bottom. But OVERLAPPING galore and when I hit preview EVERYTHING was off to the right of the layout region... Then I tried it with a rectangle and the SAME thing hapened. What gives? Then something weird happened. Poof! Al of a sudden I noticed that when I tried to COPY everything and CUT it, then put down a layout region and past it all back, oh gawd things got messed and the old layout region ended up far south and I had to move things out of the way on the side of the master border in order to get it back. Now this program is VERY well written and obviously I am doing something wrong so can someone pretty please enlighten me on how exactly I can take a 800px site and give those 800pixels a white background and then everything else to the left and right (oh yes it is centered in the browser) can be gray, or blue, or beige. And I do not care to hear that EZROUND will solve my problem because I do not want to spend/ I SHOULD NOT have to spend any money on an outside program to do what this program should be able to do.

Oh yes, and I LOVE those dynamic templates. The ones that let me pick a general layout and move things around and then mkae little place holders for me... AWESOME.
Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Background/table/master border colors in NOF 11

Postby admin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:45 pm

Hello.

I just need to be pointed in the right direction I think. I fired up the program and said hey lets just jump on in since I rely on playing with a program to get familiar with it. Well, weird things happened. Sorry but with a 1100+ page user manual I tend to only look at it when I am sitting on the toilet (so I get some quality reading time in there). This program is AWESOME. I have NEVER used NOF before but now I am really impressed. So I made a site by wizard and chose the template colors and layouts and all and then I told it to change the background and it did, but EVERYTHING in the background was changed. Even the body, so I went to the body (layout region) and chose a different color and EVERYTHING again went to that color. I am trying to configure the body to be WHITE so the text can be black and the images can be on a white background, but the REST of the page beyond the actual page itself I want to be a light gray. SO if someone with a 1280x1024 resolution opens the site up in their fullscreen browser they see a 800px page that is white down the middle of the screen and then gray on both sides (to symbolize no content there I guess). But I found it weird that the template creator wizard thingy did not allow me to customize this or think of making it like this afterwards. I saw another posting on putting a black border around the site and that was cool, but then my images did not line up so I wanted to remove it and poof, could not find that code again... oops. Now I have some lost html code somewhere in the site.

Finally, I decided to try to put a layout region on top of everything and then move it down through the object tree so it was on the bottom. But OVERLAPPING galore and when I hit preview EVERYTHING was off to the right of the layout region... Then I tried it with a rectangle and the SAME thing hapened. What gives? Then something weird happened. Poof! Al of a sudden I noticed that when I tried to COPY everything and CUT it, then put down a layout region and past it all back, oh gawd things got messed and the old layout region ended up far south and I had to move things out of the way on the side of the master border in order to get it back. Now this program is VERY well written and obviously I am doing something wrong so can someone pretty please enlighten me on how exactly I can take a 800px site and give those 800pixels a white background and then everything else to the left and right (oh yes it is centered in the browser) can be gray, or blue, or beige. And I do not care to hear that EZROUND will solve my problem because I do not want to spend/ I SHOULD NOT have to spend any money on an outside program to do what this program should be able to do.

Oh yes, and I LOVE those dynamic templates. The ones that let me pick a general layout and move things around and then mkae little place holders for me... AWESOME.
Thanks.
Generally I start with a blank site and only use top and bottom master borders in Fusion.

I place a layout region in the top MB, the Layout and the bottom MB.

Make each layout region the width you desire and adjust the height based on your content.

Set the Layout background color to what you want the color you want to appear on either side of your content and check the Center In Browser check box. You can set the background color universally in your Site Style rather than selecting it for each individual page.

Then select each of the Layout Regions you place and set their background color to be what you want the content background color to be.

This is how the layout of the main Beyond Fusion site is done. And just about every other site we've designed.

Place your content in the Layout Regions.

Admin Chuck

stilly

Postby stilly » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:54 pm

Thank you very much. I had gotten LAYOUT confused with LAYOUT REGION. And I was so excited to see a webpage creation wizard that I just wanted to take it for a spin and see what it could do. So what good are the master borders then? I mean, okay, they seem to hold their own on every page but is there a way to make them stop copying every page? Like for example, I have one page that is rather long in comparison to all of the others. Is there a way that I can check a box and the master border will not extend the additional length for the other pages, but only for the one? I THOUGHT I had read about something being able to affect all or selected pages but I forgot what it was. The site certainly is much nicer now though.

Thanks for the info so far. I will remember to play around with that.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:48 pm

Thank you very much. I had gotten LAYOUT confused with LAYOUT REGION. And I was so excited to see a webpage creation wizard that I just wanted to take it for a spin and see what it could do. So what good are the master borders then? I mean, okay, they seem to hold their own on every page but is there a way to make them stop copying every page? Like for example, I have one page that is rather long in comparison to all of the others. Is there a way that I can check a box and the master border will not extend the additional length for the other pages, but only for the one? I THOUGHT I had read about something being able to affect all or selected pages but I forgot what it was. The site certainly is much nicer now though.

Thanks for the info so far. I will remember to play around with that.
Master borders in Fusion are used to place content that you want to appear identically on multiple pages.

It's up to you whether to use a single master border through your site, different master borders in different sections of your site -or- no master borders at all.

Personally, I almost never use side master borders (in part because pages as almost never the same length in a site), but top and bottom (header and footer, if you will) master borders are very useful.

Chuck

Return to “Fusion 11”