site too big

Support for Fusion 11
tigermtn

site too big

Postby tigermtn » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:13 pm

hi again --

the site i made has too many pages.... esp since NOF has become unstable, prob due to some minor irregularities... i export it as template every 20 min or so, the whole site at 60 mgs or so since i have lost it all 3 or 4 times already... and had to redo a whole day's work :-(

i tried to split it up, but found that the links in the masterboarder didn't work after uploading into the website (i have a trial site up...). really had no clue how to go about breaking this up and re-joining....

i have the index page, (=top level)
then 10 or so pages on the next lower level (=2nd level) (common Mbrdr; links to each other and links/anchors to pages below) and
then each of them has 10+ sub-pages again w a common Mbrder, slightly different from the level above.. (=3rd level)

http://www.skcwebdesign.com/test_thumbs ... _1999.html = 2nd level
http://www.skcwebdesign.com/test_thumbs ... _99_1.html = 3rd level, year links in Mbrder no longer work

any advice? TIA for your response

sabine
Last edited by tigermtn on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: site too big

Postby admin » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:28 pm

hi again --

the site i made has too many pages.... esp since NOF has become unstable, prob due to some minor irregularities... i export it as template every 20 min or so, the whole site at 60 mgs or so since i have lost it all 3 or 4 times already... and had to redo a whole day's work :-(

i tried to split it up, but found that the links in the masterboarder didn't work after uploading into the website (i have a trial site up...). really had no clue how to go about breaking this up and re-joining....

i have the index page, (=top level)
then 10 or so pages on the next lower level (=2nd level) (common Mbrdr; links to each other and links/anchors to pages below) and
then each of them has 10+ sub-pages again w a common Mbrder, slightly different from the level above.. (=3rd level)

any advice? TIA for your response

sabine
Most instability is usually caused by users pasting in content from Word or other programs that add their own formatting that isn't HTML friendly. In case you're doing that sort of thing.

If you break a site up, each section has to have it's own index page, even if only one is the real one.

Your navigation breaks because standard navbars can only find pages in the site file you're working in.. Not the other pages after the breakup that are in other site files.

So you need to switch to using Custom navbars with external links.... complete URLs.... to be able to have complete navigation in each section of the site.

Chuck

tigermtn

Re: site too big

Postby tigermtn » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:45 pm

thanks for the info, Chuck! that makes it all so much more complicated ....

sabine

Return to “Fusion 11”