Help with Flash components

Support for Fusion 11
Cinemagic

Help with Flash components

Postby Cinemagic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:37 pm

I am trying to add flash components to my webpage, as I do not like the photo gallery that they have built-in to the program.

I am going to custom components>plug-ins>Flash. I then draw a box on the page where I want the flash object. It brings up the open box and I pick the .swf file for the photo galley. Using the default pictures and settings for the flash object, I publish to the internet. Depending the flash file it either says loading 0%, errors out, or does nothing.

I know that I am probably doing something stupid or leaving out a simple step, but please help! I am a newbie at website design.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with Flash components

Postby admin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:33 am

I am trying to add flash components to my webpage, as I do not like the photo gallery that they have built-in to the program.

I am going to custom components>plug-ins>Flash. I then draw a box on the page where I want the flash object. It brings up the open box and I pick the .swf file for the photo galley. Using the default pictures and settings for the flash object, I publish to the internet. Depending the flash file it either says loading 0%, errors out, or does nothing.

I know that I am probably doing something stupid or leaving out a simple step, but please help! I am a newbie at website design.
It's really hard to say exactly what your problem is. Probably something simple. But it could be the swf you're trying to add.

Have you published a web page where the Flash isn't working that I can take a look at?

Admin Chuck

Cinemagic

Postby Cinemagic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:13 am

You can find it at www.weinstallav.com

I just added three different freebee flash slideshows from flashcomponents.net

Help!!!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:11 pm

You can find it at http://www.weinstallav.com

I just added three different freebee flash slideshows from flashcomponents.net

Help!!!
Email me the zip file you downloaded. featureSlider, for example.

I have a feeling it needs more than just the .swf file to work.

If you, you need to add it manually. The Flash Plug-in in Fusion is for self-contained Flash movies.

Not for ones using an XML file for data.

Chuck

Cinemagic

Postby Cinemagic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:40 pm

I was using three different flash files, feature slider, just show pictures and image scroller.

How do I add flash to my website if the flash plug in only supports flash movies??? All of the plugins that I have found are using XML for data.

I need your e-mail address.

Cinemagic

Postby Cinemagic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:06 pm

If I use the built-in flash photo gallery I cannot change the size of the thumbnails, which is my biggest complaint.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:25 pm

I was using three different flash files, feature slider, just show pictures and image scroller.

How do I add flash to my website if the flash plug in only supports flash movies??? All of the plugins that I have found are using XML for data.

I need your e-mail address.
I made a site from a template sent to me that uses the same Flash generator.

Since the only page is the home page and the path to the files in the code you embedded is the same directory as the page the script is on, the files aren't being found.

Go to Publish View and move the swf and xml files to the root folder where the html page file is.

The images referred to in the xml file don't exist either. So, even though I got the Flash to display, there are no images for it to display.

Chuck

Cinemagic

Postby Cinemagic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Thank you for the reply, even though it is a bit over my head. I have a few questions:
"Since the only page is the home page and the path to the files in the code you embedded is the same directory as the page the script is on, the files aren't being found."
You completely lost me here, sorry but I am a total newbe at this.

Go to Publish View and move the swf and xml files to the root folder where the html page file is.
I see the HTML page in the root folder under publish view, how do I move the swf and xml files there??? Can they be in a sub-folder?

Thanks again and sorry for the stupid questions that probably seem 1st grade to you!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:06 pm

Thank you for the reply, even though it is a bit over my head. I have a few questions:
"Since the only page is the home page and the path to the files in the code you embedded is the same directory as the page the script is on, the files aren't being found."
You completely lost me here, sorry but I am a total newbe at this.

I see the HTML page in the root folder under publish view, how do I move the swf and xml files there??? Can they be in a sub-folder?

Thanks again and sorry for the stupid questions that probably seem 1st grade to you!
This is your embed code....

Code: Select all

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0" width="100%" height="100%"> <param name="movie" value="FlashTest.swf?xml_path=Flashtest.xml" /> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <embed src="FlashTest.swf?xml_path=Flashtest.xml" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%" height="100%" allowFullScreen="true"></embed> </object>
See this code? "FlashTest.swf?xml_path=Flashtest.xml" It's in two places that have to match.

It contains the names of the two files involved.... Unless you change the paths to something else, you need to have the two files (the swf and the xml) in the same directory/folder as the web page you embed the code into.

To move them to the root folder where your home page is (index.html) when you publish, go to Publish View, find the files in the folder and cut/paste them into the root folder with index.html.

The XML file is generated by the software you're using, I'm pretty sure.

It sources image files using an array. The paths in the XML file need to point to the location where the files are physically located.

Yes, they can be in any folder you want. But you need to edit the path.

If you embedded the Flash on the home page and put the files in your assets folder on the web server, for example, you would change the code to:

"assets/FlashTest.swf?xml_path=assets/Flashtest.xml"

In the XML file you sent me, that's done using a URL:

http://www.theitalianwaycardiff.co.uk

as in this line of code from the XML.

Code: Select all

<slide jpegURL="thumbs/t_0001.jpg" d_URL="slides/p_0001.jpg" transition="29" panzoom="1" URLTarget="0" phototime="2" url="http://www.theitalianwaycardiff.co.uk" title="001 []" width="700" height="170"/>
Thumbnails are in a thumbs folder at that URL and the larger images are in the slides folder.

Chuck

Cinemagic

Postby Cinemagic » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:34 am

I will give that a shot tomorrow, thank you again for your help!

gprit

Postby gprit » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:27 am

Chuck - I am keeping this thread even though it's v11 and I am v10(!).

I tried as suggested but it seems to make no difference.
I added the .SWF and .XML files via Filezilla to the host directory.
I also standardised the lowercase naming and recreated the gallery to remove reference to The ItalianWay(!).

Attached are:
1) snapshot of directory structure
2) the .SWF file Note: have sent this to your private email as uploads do not accept .SWF files
3) the .XML file Note: have sent this to your private email as uploads do not accept .XML files

I think I followed your guidance so am not sure where we go from here.

thanks
Attachments
flashtest directory.jpg
flashtest directory.jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 4906 times

Pete Smithies

Postby Pete Smithies » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:19 pm

If I use the built-in flash photo gallery I cannot change the size of the thumbnails, which is my biggest complaint.
Hi there, I have moved away from the flash photo gallery too, but just to put the record straight, you can resize the thumbnails.

It's a bit fiddly - but you need to resize the image area (to free up some screen space), then resize the background for the thumbnails, little red corners and then resize one of the thumbnails - then put the image back to a decent size.

Sometimes you have to resize the thumbnail, come out of the configuration back to the design page and then go back in again for all the thumbnails to update.

It's a bit flaky - but it works, personally I prefer to use ligthbox and am also considering investing in Likno modal windows -

Hope this helps

Pete

Return to “Fusion 11”