Code view

Support for Fusion 11
artman

Code view

Postby artman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:06 pm

By the way,

If you are not supposed to edit in code view, where do you add keywords and meta descriptions.

Thanks

Sarge516

Re: Code view

Postby Sarge516 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:57 pm

I know this of absolutely no value, but I could have swore that I saw that last night when I was playing with some pages, but can't seem to find that now ... :roll:

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:40 pm

I know this of absolutely no value, but I could have swore that I saw that last night when I was playing with some pages, but can't seem to find that now ... :roll:
in Site View.

Select a page and look at its properties. There's a tab for Meta tags.

Chuck

Sarge516

Postby Sarge516 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:57 am

I think I found something too...

View, More Panels, Task Checklist .....

artman

Postby artman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:46 pm

I never had used the tabs in site view.

Beginning in Fusion 7, I had gone to layout properties, HTML and added all the meta tags there.
I just carried this through to NOF 9.
This is the first time I am doing a major re-design of the site in 11, so did not see what was happening.

This is what is showing in code view:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE> Title of Page will be generated by NetObjects Fusion. </TITLE>

<title>My page title</title>
<meta name="description" content="My description">
<meta name="keywords" content="keyword 1, keyword 2 keyword 3l">
<meta name="subject" content="product">
<META CONTENT="NetObjects Fusion 11 for Windows" NAME="Generator">
<META CONTENT="NetObjects Fusion MX for Windows" NAME="Generator">
<!-- NetObjects Fusion Generated HEAD HTML-->
</HEAD>
<BODY NetObjects Fusion Generated BODY Parameters

Everything between </TITLE> and </HEAD> is the code I would copy and paste into each page using properties, HTML.

I think at the very least I need to remove my title tag.

Or do you think I should redo all my meta tags (64 pages worth)?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:27 am

I never had used the tabs in site view.

Beginning in Fusion 7, I had gone to layout properties, HTML and added all the meta tags there.
I just carried this through to NOF 9.
This is the first time I am doing a major re-design of the site in 11, so did not see what was happening.

This is what is showing in code view:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE> Title of Page will be generated by NetObjects Fusion. </TITLE>

<title>My page title</title>
<meta name="description" content="My description">
<meta name="keywords" content="keyword 1, keyword 2 keyword 3l">
<meta name="subject" content="product">
<META CONTENT="NetObjects Fusion 11 for Windows" NAME="Generator">
<META CONTENT="NetObjects Fusion MX for Windows" NAME="Generator">
<!-- NetObjects Fusion Generated HEAD HTML-->
</HEAD>
<BODY NetObjects Fusion Generated BODY Parameters

Everything between </TITLE> and </HEAD> is the code I would copy and paste into each page using properties, HTML.

I think at the very least I need to remove my title tag.

Or do you think I should redo all my meta tags (64 pages worth)?
In the Beginning..... early version of Fusion had a place in Site Settings where a site wide setting for adding a Meta Description and keywords existed. If you wanted page specific meta tags, you had to add them in the Layout properties HTML between the head tags.

Later, page meta tags (with inheritance possibilities) were added in Page properties in Site View. That's where things stand today.

Somewhere in between, there was a transitional period in a couple of versions of Fusion, where the Site Settings meta tags were still available, but deprecated.

When the Site Settings meta tags were finally eliminated (Fusion 8 perhaps), life was good... unless you moved a site containing manually added meta tags into the new release that didn't support the site settings tags any more. What would happen is the meta tags could become permanently embedded into Code View and be in the generated HTML code along with the meta tags you wanted to add in Site View.

When this "bug" was discovered, we told users to remove all manual meta tags and those in Site Settings prior to exporting as a template to make a site in the new Fusion release.

At his point, if you can remove any manually added tags, do so. Add them in Site View in page properties.

The title tag is generated automatically by Fusion using the title you type into page properties in Site View.

If you have tags like generated by MX in your Code View and they're in the gray (un-editable) region, you may have to recreate your site from scratch in 11 to get rid of the embedded tags.

Chuck

artman

Postby artman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Yesterday I started deleting the manually inserted codes and re-adding them in site view on the pages I just created over the last month.

I used the HTML button in layout properties to delete them (since this is where I added them way back when) and that seems to work okay.
None of them seem to show gray in code view, so I guess this is a good thing.

One question. Some of my meta tags have multiple entries such as robots:
<meta name="robots" content="all">
<meta name ="robots" content ="index, follow">.

In site view, do I just add the content portion above as separate lines or separate them with commas, as you would do with keywords?

I also have meta tags that are not listed in site view, such as search keys.
How do I handle that?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:14 pm

Yesterday I started deleting the manually inserted codes and re-adding them in site view on the pages I just created over the last month.

I used the HTML button in layout properties to delete them (since this is where I added them way back when) and that seems to work okay.
None of them seem to show gray in code view, so I guess this is a good thing.

One question. Some of my meta tags have multiple entries such as robots:
<meta name="robots" content="all">
<meta name ="robots" content ="index, follow">.

In site view, do I just add the content portion above as separate lines or separate them with commas, as you would do with keywords?

I also have meta tags that are not listed in site view, such as search keys.
How do I handle that?
With the robots tag, all you need is the index, follow... not the All. But since the default is index, follow... you don't need that either.

For meta tags not built into page properties in Site view, you can insert them in Design View in the Layout HTML between the head tags as before.

Chuck

artman

Postby artman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:25 pm

But if I want to add multiple content for meta tags that I normally would use separate lines for, can I do that in the site view boxes?

Thanks for your help.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:20 am

But if I want to add multiple content for meta tags that I normally would use separate lines for, can I do that in the site view boxes?

Thanks for your help.
For example?

Chuck

Brian

Postby Brian » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:23 pm

I have the same problem where in line 3 of the HTML code, I cannot delete or alter the Title tag. I transferred the website from NOF10 to 11 without realising there was a bug in the software.

Is there a patch that will allow me to remove or amend the Title tag? Would upgrading to NOF12 be a solution? Or will I have to bite the bullet and start the site from new on either/or NOF11 and 12?

Return to “Fusion 11”