vista/nof self repair incompatibility?

Q&A about Fusion 10
sierramadre

vista/nof self repair incompatibility?

Postby sierramadre » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi
After finally getting NOF-10 to operate successfully in Windows Vista, I have been using it for several months without problem until today.

After opening NOF10 and opening my site to the site structure page, I attempted to open a website page and got the "blue screen of death" which shut down my computer. After restarting and reopening NOF10, I attempted to open my site and got the note that NOF felt the site was unstable and NOF attempted to correct this problem. Immediately thereafter a Windows box opens to indicate that NOF is not working and is being closed down. At this point I cannot access any part of my website in nof.

Other sites appear to function OK in NOF10, but not my main site. Could this be a vista/nof self repair incompatibility? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Arthela Cummings

admin
Site Admin

Re: vista/nof self repair incompatibility?

Postby admin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi
After finally getting NOF-10 to operate successfully in Windows Vista, I have been using it for several months without problem until today.

After opening NOF10 and opening my site to the site structure page, I attempted to open a website page and got the "blue screen of death" which shut down my computer. After restarting and reopening NOF10, I attempted to open my site and got the note that NOF felt the site was unstable and NOF attempted to correct this problem. Immediately thereafter a Windows box opens to indicate that NOF is not working and is being closed down. At this point I cannot access any part of my website in nof.

Other sites appear to function OK in NOF10, but not my main site. Could this be a vista/nof self repair incompatibility? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Arthela Cummings
Could be what you've put into your site.

Have you been pasting in content from Microsoft Word or other programs?

This can cause serious errors in the Fusion NOD file that your site is generated from.

I must say, I've never seen a site file cause a BSOD.

At this point, you can try using one of the automatic backup files Fusion generates to bring your site back to where it was before you encountered this apparently fatal error.

To do so, start by copying the oldest backup into the Site Folder itself. Rename it by removing the "backup" from the file name.

Hope this helps.

Admin Chuck

sierramadre

Postby sierramadre » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:02 pm

I continue to get the BSOD (blue screen of death) intermittently, and no I never import text or anything but jpegs created in Adobe Photoshop into my NOF site.

I have been keeping double site files, (saving the current site file both as itself and as a separate site file since using Vista and having imported my site file from previous NOF versions - starting back at NOF v4 and upgrading through NOF v9, before going to v10) as when I tried to set up a back-up location, I had significant difficulty (stopped working, froze up the computer, etc.) and so having sufficient room on my computer, I used this work-around w/o significant problems.

Usually opening the second file resolves the BSOD problem, and I will then delete the offending file and set up a new "back-up file site." Occasionally I will need to open the "recovery" file, which gives me all my pages, and then bringing a copy of the assets and style to the renamed recovered file - and can go on from there.

Today I tried to reopen the site file I last worked on last friday and got the BSOD. The file opened OK at first but when going from the outline to the page view is when the BSOD appears. Unfortunately my "backup" site file did the same thing. Now trying to open either will only give me a NOF error page "stating this is not a valid NOF file. " :(

Trying to using any of the "recovery" files now generate the same error message. :(

I can open a previous version of the site, with most of my 600+ pages, then saved under a new name :) but spent a lot of time last week creating 11 or 12 new pages. I can see by using Windows Explorer and looking under the old site "Preview" folder, the several new HTML pages I created last Friday, but cannot see how to bring these into the NOF site file. Any suggestion on how I can accomplish this without manually rebuilding each page would be appreciated.

Any ideas on the cause and method to eliminate the underlying BSOD problem would be ever so welcome.

Thanks,
Arthela

sierramadre

Postby sierramadre » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:52 pm

By the way I did post the site just prior to the last save last Friday in case you want/need to check the code, just go to http://www.sierramadretrading.com

The last files worked on were those of the Indian Silver & Silver Pots.

Again, any assistance is most welcome.
Thanks,
Arthela

Return to “Fusion 10”