Fusion 10 installation and Site Migration/upgrade

Q&A about Fusion 10
admin
Site Admin

Fusion 10 installation and Site Migration/upgrade

Postby admin » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:42 am

To all upgraders:

Installing Fusion 10: It installs in its own folder... it does NOT overwrite a previous version of Fusion. You can have multiple version installed with no problem.

Be sure to allow the file extraction window to close on its own. Do NOT click on cancel when you think it's finished because it isn't. When the extraction window does close, don't run the program.... reboot instead before you do. It may not be necessary, but better safe than sorry.

For ESD downloaders, do NOT open the installation file from a burned CD. Install the program from an install file on your hard drive. Installing from a CD can and probably will result in an incomplete installation and errors.

Migrating sites: If you have sites that are currently working just fine in Fusion 9 or earlier, do NOT import them into Fusion 10 right off the bat.

Learn the new features and methods in 10 by creating a new site (or sites).

Don't go through the learning curve with a live site. Never a good idea.

It's easy to get caught up in the new version frenzy and start migrating right away.

Do yourself a favor and wait.

Then, when you do migrate a site into 10, do some maintenance FIRST. Delete unused assets. Delete unused Master Borders. Re-optimize in Site View.

And then...don't open a site directly in 10. Export a template from the earlier version and make a new site from it in 10.

Important - Website Pros does not support upgrading a site into 10 from Fusion 7.5 or earlier. If you're upgrading directly from 7.5 or earlier, contact us about migrating your site. For a small charge ($20), we will migrate your site for you into a Fusion 10 template.

Chances are, an import from a version earlier than 8 (at least back for Fusion MX) will go ok anyway. So give it a shot. Before you do, remove any metatags you've added in site options. Failure to do so may result in them becoming permanent. Recent versions of Fusion have a tab in page properties for adding metatags.

3rd Party Components: Before you make a new site from an exported template, make sure any 3rd party components you use in the earlier version of Fusion are copied into the Fusion 10 components folder. If you create a site from a template that uses a 3rd party component and the component isn't installed in 10, you'll end up with a non-functioning component placeholder image in 10, but no component.

Caution - Some 3rd party components haven't been updated to install or work in recent versions of Fusion (including 10).

Individual Coolmaps components, for example, may or may not work. Their Goldmine package was updated for Fusion 9, but individual components were not. The Goldmine components will work in 10, but need to be copied from Fusion 9 since the installer doesn't recognize 10 (as of now - December 2nd, 2006)

The current Fusion component (v1.3.3 available on this site) for AllWebMenus works fine in Fusion 10.

Admin Chuck

mcaustinsr

Postby mcaustinsr » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:24 am

Chuck,

Thanks for the info on V 10. Sound advice you gave. I've been doing some reading on V 10 and sounds like it has much more to offer than 9.

Where is a good place to learn about the 3rd party components you mentioned? I'm not familiar with any of them so a good place for a newbie to start would be good.

By the way, I like the idea that was posted back in Dec 2006 about putting on a training seminar! You could count me in as well if you do!

Thanks!

Michael
MCA

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:24 pm

Chuck,

Thanks for the info on V 10. Sound advice you gave. I've been doing some reading on V 10 and sounds like it has much more to offer than 9.

Where is a good place to learn about the 3rd party components you mentioned? I'm not familiar with any of them so a good place for a newbie to start would be good.

By the way, I like the idea that was posted back in Dec 2006 about putting on a training seminar! You could count me in as well if you do!

Thanks!

Michael
The only viable producer of Fusion components is Coolmaps, at the moment. And even they aren't making any new ones.

http://club.coolmaps.com.

You need their Goldmine package to have components that work with Fusion 9 or 10.

Chuck

mcaustinsr

Postby mcaustinsr » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:29 pm

Thanks Chuck, but it says I'm not authorized to view that page. I don't belong to a club there.
MCA

Return to “Fusion 10”