Preparing 7 to migrate to 9

Support for Fusion 7
nlesberg

Preparing 7 to migrate to 9

Postby nlesberg » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:33 pm

Problems needing to be resolved:
1. I can't optimize. It crashes the program and when I open the site again only the home page shows and it's totally blank. I've never optimized before. I have 175 pages w/ many, many images.
2. I can't publish remotely some of the most recently changed pages. They have many links, so I've tried unlinking everyting. Local pub is fine; remote publishes only part of the page after many minutes. When I "abort" nothing happens. Can't even close the program without Task Manager.
I'm running Windows XP and have tons of memory. All suggestions are appreciated.

admin
Site Admin

Can't re-optimize

Postby admin » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:26 pm

Go to Assets View and remove all unused assets.

Verify the remaining assets.

Now go to page view and remove any unused master borders you may have created over time.

If you have ever pasted in any content from MS Word (as an example), you may have unknowingly inserted code incompatible with HTML.

If you've done so, go to each page in Page Design view and examine the Layout HTML, looking for code in blue in the top pane. If you have any, remove it if you didn't deliberately put it there.

Now go back to Site View and attempt to re-optimize.

Number of links has nothing to do with publishing, by the way.

Admin Chuck

nlesberg

Cat't-optimize

Postby nlesberg » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:21 pm

I have 6 assets that I'm afraid to remove because of the warning about them being in use. I cannot find them being used so I've clicked "SKIP". Is that okay.
I have no unused master borders.
I do not know what you mean by code in blue in the top pane. Which is the top pane? There is a lot in blue. I don't know HTML so how do I know if it belongs?
I'm afraid to re-optimize yet.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Cat't-optimize

Postby admin » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:16 pm

If you know the 6 assets aren't in use (most of the time they are...but on a master border you created and forgot about) and Fusion doesn't indicate that they're in use on a particular page, go ahead and delete them.

I have 6 assets that I'm afraid to remove because of the warning about them being in use. I cannot find them being used so I've clicked "SKIP". Is that okay.
I have no unused master borders.
I do not know what you mean by code in blue in the top pane. Which is the top pane? There is a lot in blue. I don't know HTML so how do I know if it belongs?
I'm afraid to re-optimize yet.
For blue code..... go to a page in Page Design View and go to Layout properties and click on the HTML button. You'll see a gray pane in the top and tabs in the bottom.

Fusion doesn't place any code that appears in blue in the top pane. That's code that'll be found on one of the tabs below, possibly added by pasted in content from Word. Remove it.

nlesberg

Postby nlesberg » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:51 pm

Chuck: I appreciate your very specific advice and directions that I could actually understand, but I must admit I'm afraid to delete so much "blue" matter. And blue code appears on many, many pages. Of course, that may well be what's preventing optimizing. Just, please let me know if this is okay to delete. (And this was about the least amount I found after a quick check.) Thank you! Naomi
<!-- DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" -->
<META CONTENT="NetObjects Fusion MX for Windows" NAME="Generator">
<META CONTENT="SDFC, San Diego Fellow Calligraphers, San Diego calligraphy, calligraphy, calligraphers" NAME="Keywords">
<META CONTENT="NetObjects Fusion MX for Windows" NAME="Generator">
<SCRIPT>

<!--

function F_loadRollover(){} function F_roll(){}

//-->

</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT SRC="../rollover.js" LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2"></SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT>
<!--
function F_loadRollover(){} function F_roll(){}
//-->
</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT SRC="../rollover.js" LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2"></SCRIPT>

admin
Site Admin

In blue?

Postby admin » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:02 pm

Naomi,

This is code from Fusion MX, so I assume you copied in content from a site done in that version at some point.

If that code appears in blue in the top pane and is on one of the tabs in the lower pane (Between Head Tags would be my guess), delete it from the tab on the lower pane.

This is code that duplicates what Fusion 7 will generate when you publish, and yes, it'll cause problems.

You can't possibly use this procedure to delete what Fusion properly generates when you publish. Don't be afraid. :wink:

Admin Chuck
Last edited by admin on Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlesberg

code in blue

Postby nlesberg » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:21 pm

Chuck, Thank you.
Yes. I started earlier then upgraded to Fusion MX, then went to 7, and now I'm trying to upgrade to 9. I didn't know code got copied. I did use templates each time. I will go through the pages and delete all duplicates in the bottom pane that show up as blue in the top pane. (Is any of this in the online help?)
Would you please re-write your last sentence?
Naomi

admin
Site Admin

Re: code in blue

Postby admin » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:02 pm

Chuck, Thank you.
Yes. I started earlier then upgraded to Fusion MX, then went to 7, and now I'm trying to upgrade to 9. I didn't know code got copied. I did use templates each time. I will go through the pages and delete all duplicates in the bottom pane that show up as blue in the top pane. (Is any of this in the online help?)
Would you please re-write your last sentence?
Naomi
Left out the word "to". Oops. I fixed my previous message to correct that last sentence.

No.. I don't believe the help files talk about removing code that shows up in blue.

I've seen some strange things happen with sites that were started pre-Fusion 7 when brought into 8 or 9.

Let me know how things turn out for you.

Chuck

nlesberg

blue code

Postby nlesberg » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:10 pm

Amazing. I removed all instances of blue code in the top pane with 3 exceptions 2 of which are: "<BODY NetObjects Fusion Generated BODY Parameters STYLE="tab-interval:.5in" LANG="EN-US">
Because there was nothing in the bottom pane, I left them in the top. Is that okay?

Anyway, I deleted my missing but supposedly in use assets and I actually managed not only to re-optimize, but I could publish two pages that I was having trouble publishing.

I will now take a deep breath, and when I feel lucky, I will attempt to migrate my template to NOF 9. Wish me luck.

Your help has been invaluable. I'm still waiting to hear from "real" support. If this works, any further posting should be into the Fusion 9 forum.

Naomi

admin
Site Admin

Lingering code

Postby admin » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:29 pm

Naomi,

On the pages where you still see blue code, but it isn't on any of the Layout HTML tabs, check the MasterBorder HTML.

Same procedure, but select the MasterBorder instead of the Layout. Go to its properties and press the HTML button and look on the lower tabs there.

Admin Chuck

nlesberg

Postby nlesberg » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:49 am

No, Chuck. The master borders have no blue code at all.
Naomi

admin
Site Admin

Well....

Postby admin » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:09 am

Naomi,

You can't remove code in blue in the top pane from anywhere but the bottom pane tabs.

With one possible exception.

I generally recommend that users stay out of HTML Source View, but in this case.... on the page or pages where you still see blue code in the top pane, open HTML Source View.... the tab next to Page Design View.

Look for that code in the white [editable] areas. Delete it if you find it. Code in the gray areas cannot be removed, so if it's embedded in there, it's permanent.

If it can't be found or removed, and it isn't causing any problems, don't lose any sleep over it.

You can try re-optimizing again. Probably a good idea anyway after pulling out all of that extraneous code. That may clean up the nod file some more for you.

Admin Chuck

Return to “Fusion 7”