removing alt tags from master border and linls

Whatever you have on your mind about web design in general.
accentsplus

removing alt tags from master border and linls

Postby accentsplus » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:41 pm

How do I remove that alt tag from the master border? they also show up on my bar of links. I want to remove them. been through the help sections and can only see how to do it if it is an image. Any suggestions??
Victoria

admin
Site Admin

Alt tags

Postby admin » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:30 pm

Master borders don't have Alt tags.

Navbar buttons do and need to for the sake of search engines and accessibility. Without them, the nav buttons would just be images.

If you want navigation without Alt tags, look into using AllWebMenus.

accentsplus

alt tags

Postby accentsplus » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:02 am

thank you. I have a gal who is going to be working with me on search engine visibility and she said to remove them. when I scroll over my master border, it shows the alt tag... that is why I asked. one more question: when putting in meta tags, the help menu shows how to do that in the master border. is that the only place they can be placed with this program? (still learning all this stuff).
Victoria

admin
Site Admin

Which version

Postby admin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:38 pm

of Fusion are you using?

Recent releases have a metatag tab in Site View on each pages properties. That's the preferred method for adding metatags. But you can still use the method below if you wish.

Prior to that feature being added, metatags could be added in either the Master Border HTML (if you want the same tags on every page using that master border) or in the Layout HTML for individual pages.

You would place them on the Between Head Tags tab in the MB or Layout Object HTML windows available from their properties.

Prior to Fusion 9, there was also a location to add sitewide tags in Site Settings. That method is no longer available in 9.

Chuck

accentsplus

version

Postby accentsplus » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:24 pm

using Fusion MX

I'll take a look and see if I can find those areas for the tags. I've only seen how to do it in the master border.

Does NetObjects have a more current version that would be better to upgrade to?

And since I've got you here, may I ask another question: I'm going to be adding a shopping cart to my site. The software is Miva. Will I encounter any problems adding that with NetObjects?
Victoria

admin
Site Admin

MX is ancient

Postby admin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:29 am

MX is Fusion 6 under the hood. Since MX, there has been 7, 7.5, 8 and now 9...the current release.

Fusion 9 has some significant improvements over MX, including all of the improvements in the intervening releases.

Regarding your metatag issue...back in MX, you only had Site Settings to add site-wide tags to and the Between Head Tags tab on individual pages in the Layout and Master Border HTML.

Now, as I said in my previous post, in Fusion 9 you add metatags in Site View in the page properties.

Fusion 9 is available through the BeyondFusion store.

I've heard of people using Miva Merchant successfully with Fusion. It takes some configuring though.

More people probably use Mal's E-commerce. Often the free version is quite sufficient.

See www.mals-e.com.

Fusion 9 also has an e-comm component included. It's suitable for small catalogs and has built-in interfaces for several shopping carts, including Mal's.

Chuck

accentsplus

Fusion upgrade

Postby accentsplus » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:26 pm

I checked the other (free) shopping cart, and the only problem I see with that is the payment part is through their service. to use your own merchant account it costs a monthly feel. I don't need to do that with Miva. I guess I will have to figure out how to configure it in to Fusion.

do you think that would be easier to do with the upgraded version? sounds like I should upgrade regardless?
Victoria

admin
Site Admin

payment services

Postby admin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:01 pm

A shopping cart is just a shopping cart.

To accept online payments with credit cards, you need a payment gateway. The gateway needs to connect to a merchant account.

Miva is no different. They charge a monthly fee for their built-in payment capability...if you use it. Just like any other.

I've haven't used Miva for a long time, so I can't comment on the degree of difficulty.

I do know it's easier to use than it used to be.

Mal's is nice because you can process charges manually if volume doesn't warrant a payment gateway service.

accentsplus

upgrade question

Postby accentsplus » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:13 am

you helped me with some alt tag info. in the meantime, I also emailed NetObjects direct asking the following question:

I have NetObjects Fusion MX. am I going to be able to upgrade to the current version? without having to start from scratch.

no one ever got back to me. would you know the answer by chance?
Victoria

admin
Site Admin

Upgrading from MX

Postby admin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:41 am

My understanding is that MX qualifies for upgrade pricing to 9. But... I'm waiting to have that confirmed by my contact at WSP.

Exporting a template form MX and making a new site from it in 9 should be no problem.

I don't have MX around anymore, so I can't test it. That version was long, long ago.

accentsplus

Postby accentsplus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:34 pm

I know the MX is old,,, that is why I wanted to make sure I could upgrade to the current with no problem, compared to getting the upgrades in between. I don't want to do anything til I know. thank you for checking since they haven't answered me yet! let me know what you find out. I want to upgrade since mine is so old... and missing a lot of templates, etc. I want to upgrade the look of my site.
Victoria

Return to “General Web Design Topics”