NOF - new vs. old?

Whatever you have on your mind about web design in general.
mikkael

NOF - new vs. old?

Postby mikkael » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I know support for older versions of NOF has been stopped - or at least the version that I have ( MX ) - so I'm not here mooching for support. Actually one of the things that attracted me to NOF - and the reason I put in my order for version 10 - is that the support goes back such a long way. With some other ( usually more expensive ) software, you're abandoned by the company after a couple of versions.

Having gone and designed a site using Fusion MX, I was thinking of just leaving the site alone: I like it, and it seems to work well in a basic sort of way. The site is somewhere between a hobby site and a small business one: it deals with my interest in cars / my collection of same. One major factor in my thinking is this, and I'd like some opinions please:

Here in Ireland 10% of the country, incredibly, is still reliant on 'dial up'. In lots of regions of the World, internet connections are still slow. I want as many people to see my site as possible, so I'm thinking that using 2001 technology in the design is the way to go. Am I right to think like this?

On the other hand, my next project will be a site dedicated to my ( vast ) collection of personal computers and games consoles. For this site I intend to use NOF 10, based on the assumption that someone in that sphere is likely to have the hardware to cope with a more advanced / stylised site, as computer people tend to be interested in computers!

Am I talking gibberish here folks, or does this make sense? Am I likely to run into a whole load of problems with this new / old way of designing sites? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Anthony.

admin
Site Admin

Re: NOF - new vs. old?

Postby admin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:31 pm

Anthony,

It's generally best to have a site in the latest version of Fusion. Especially since 10 (and 9) have done away with the proprietary code that MX (and earlier) through Fusion 8 added to the generated html.

Therefore pages are lighter and load a bit faster.

That being said... if you're not having performance issues with the site created in MX, there's no real reason to migrate it into 10.

10 has many other enhancements over MX, but if you're a long-time MX user, you'll be able to master 10 in short order.

Admin Chuck

mikkael

Postby mikkael » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks a lot Chuck,

I haven't actually got the site uploaded yet ... expect to have it ready in the next few days ... so I wouldn't know about performance yet. Just wondering, is it totally safe to migrate the MX site to NOF10 in any event? ( got it in the post today! Yipee! ) :D

I'm probably going to want to embed a YouTube or two, and I don't think it was invented until the mid 00's so obviously NOF10 would be the one for this. Incidentally, I heard someone talk about site integrity testing once ... I can only vaguely recollect, but I think it has to do with 'bouncing' your site off a soft of 'bench testing' site ... any ideas?

Just one last question if I may :wink: ... I've got page resources scattered all over my desktop. I want to put them all in one folder, but I'm afraid Fusion won't be able to find them unless they're in the exact location it first found them in ( when I placed them on the page(s) ) ... correct?

Thanks again,

Anthony.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks a lot Chuck,

I haven't actually got the site uploaded yet ... expect to have it ready in the next few days ... so I wouldn't know about performance yet. Just wondering, is it totally safe to migrate the MX site to NOF10 in any event? ( got it in the post today! Yipee! ) :D

I'm probably going to want to embed a YouTube or two, and I don't think it was invented until the mid 00's so obviously NOF10 would be the one for this. Incidentally, I heard someone talk about site integrity testing once ... I can only vaguely recollect, but I think it has to do with 'bouncing' your site off a soft of 'bench testing' site ... any ideas?

Just one last question if I may :wink: ... I've got page resources scattered all over my desktop. I want to put them all in one folder, but I'm afraid Fusion won't be able to find them unless they're in the exact location it first found them in ( when I placed them on the page(s) ) ... correct?

Thanks again,

Anthony.
Migrating from MX to 10 isn't officially supported. But if it's a simple site, you should have no problems.

If you want to go the supported route, download Fusion Essentials (it's free) which is actually Fusion 7.5 under another name, for all practical purposes. Then you can export a template from Essentials and make a new site from it in 10.

You'll find site migration suggestions here in the forums. You migrate by exporting a template in Site View. The template-making process collects up all of your site image assets and includes them in the assets folder within the template.

It's always a good idea to keep your assets in the site folder, not scattered hither and yon. :wink:

Chuck

mikkael

Re: Thanks!

Postby mikkael » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:34 pm

Thanks a lot Chuck, really appreciate your help and speedy responses :D Amazon MKII here I come! :lol:

Return to “General Web Design Topics”