How can I shut down my site?

Whatever you have on your mind about web design in general.
wirkkalaj

How can I shut down my site?

Postby wirkkalaj » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:33 pm

I need a easy way to turn off my websites for a while. Maybe an "under construction" kind of thing would work best?Is there a quick way to do this with NetObjects, so that none of the pages would be accessable, or is this something that would have to be done through my web host. Any help/clues would be appreciated. It's just getting too overwhelming trying to run 3 websites while working full-time as well. I just need to shut them down for a while and chill.

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: How can I shut down my site?

Postby admin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:06 pm

I need a easy way to turn off my websites for a while. Maybe an "under construction" kind of thing would work best?Is there a quick way to do this with NetObjects, so that none of the pages would be accessable, or is this something that would have to be done through my web host. Any help/clues would be appreciated. It's just getting too overwhelming trying to run 3 websites while working full-time as well. I just need to shut them down for a while and chill.

Thanks
If your sites have been spidered by search engines, just replacing the index (home) page won't ship other pages from being reached.

You would need to remove all pages and other assets from the web server.

You can make a new page in each site in Fusion and move it aboe the current home page in Site View. Call it a "Be back soon" page (on the page itself) and publish that page only as a new index page.

What requires your constant supervision anyway? You have timely information that needs constant updating?

If you intend to resume in the not-to-distant future, maybe it would be better to leave the sites online and just place a notice on the home pages that the sites aren't currently being updated.

Just a thought. You know your circumstances.

Chuck

wirkkalaj

Postby wirkkalaj » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:02 pm

They're all retail websites, and I just can't deal with the shipping and the customer coorespondence everyday. Maybe you know of a third pary shipping/warehouse company that can handle that kind of stuff. That would probably be a better solution, but I've tried contacting a couple, but I'm at that in between point where there's too many orders for me to handle, but not big enough for them to bother with.

So, if I wanted to shut it down. I'd need to remove all of the assetts from the host. Can I delete all of them in Net objects and then publish it and then that would in turn remove them from the server?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:54 pm

They're all retail websites, and I just can't deal with the shipping and the customer coorespondence everyday. Maybe you know of a third pary shipping/warehouse company that can handle that kind of stuff. That would probably be a better solution, but I've tried contacting a couple, but I'm at that in between point where there's too many orders for me to handle, but not big enough for them to bother with.

So, if I wanted to shut it down. I'd need to remove all of the assets from the host. Can I delete all of them in Net objects and then publish it and then that would in turn remove them from the server?
What are you selling? PM the URLs to me. I may know someone who'd take them over and give you a cut.

You can't count on Fusion deleting everything from the server. Better to use a standalone FTP program for that.

Chuck

smoothonline

Postby smoothonline » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:58 pm

I was going to say you could go to the Publish button (not publish site) log onto the ftp and delete all the html BUT obviously not deleting the website on fusion itself. I would just then duplicate the ftp details on another site and make a home page with 'be back soon' or something to that effect.

charlotte
http://www.smooth-online.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Web Design Service

Valerie19

Postby Valerie19 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:02 am

by admin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:06 pm

wirkkalaj wrote:

Thanks

If your sites have been spidered by search engines, just replacing the index (home) page won't ship other pages from being reached.

You would need to remove all pages and other assets from the web server.

You can make a new page in each site in Fusion and move it aboe the current home page in Site View. Call it a "Be back soon" page (on the page itself) and publish that page only as a new index page.

What requires your constant supervision anyway? You have timely information that needs constant updating?

If you intend to resume in the not-to-distant future, maybe it would be better to leave the sites online and just place a notice on the home pages that the sites aren't currently being updated.

Just a thought. You know your circumstances.

Chuck
That's very bad for your website if it's shut down it will decrease the web page rank...

Return to “General Web Design Topics”